The San Diego County Bar Association is currently recruiting a Member Technology Officer (“Tech Officer”). The Tech Officer will provide technological solutions, training, support and innovation to SDCBA lawyer and legal professional members and address all recommendations made by the SDCBA Board of Directors in its 2017 Tech Summit Report.
This newly created position recognizes the growing role of technology in the practice of law and that members need support in this rapidly changing area. Specifically, the Tech Officer would be responsible for the following:
Technological Expertise. This includes discovering, monitoring and reviewing 1) software, hardware, and platforms used in discovery (including e-discovery), trial preparation and trial support; 2) other technologies and trends that assist lawyers in the practice of law. This also includes establishing a hotline for member tech issues and developing an in-house consulting service for members.
Developing Technology Related Programming and Content. This includes 1) developing and implementing an annual technology summit; 2) developing and implementing other technology programming and 3) creating technological content for members (toolkits, videos, social media/blog and other publication content), identifying speakers, working with local groups and SDCBA sub entities to identify and need develop response and implementing the board’s legal summit recommendations.
Product/Service Review and Negotiation: Working with other SDCBA internal leadership, this includes identifying products, services and software appropriate for the SDCBA Member Benefit Partners program and negotiating agreements and discounts for members as needed.
Any applicant must be a forward thinking and innovative professional who is already versed in technology, able to keep up with technological trends, products and approaches and able to address how to convey trends and information to members. Any successful candidate must be willing to “follow” other bar association LPMAs, other legal tech officers/ experts and be versed on what and how legal tech information is disseminated to lawyers. Given the broad scope of this position, candidates with the following backgrounds and expertise are invited to apply:
1. Attorneys and other professionals who currently hold the position of tech officers in a law firm or are responsible for e-discovery in a law firm;
2. Attorneys and other professionals who teach and/or write about incorporating and using technology in law practice;
3. Technology professionals who currently provide support and consult with lawyers and law firms;
4. Professionals with a degree in Masters of Library Science.
The SDCBA will consider a part time candidate as needed based on a candidate’s experience andqualifications.
Any successful candidate will also need to adhere to any SDCBA Values and Cultural
Competencies. These include:
• Demonstrate understanding of SDCBA’s core values and exercises the cultural competencies at the highest level of his or her ability.
• Demonstrate dedication to the SDCBA’s value of relationships over transactions
• Comprehensively respond to issues, projects, and inquiries with a “can do” attitude.
• Take responsibility and personal accountability for work product and roles in projects.
• Ensure assigned projects or tasks move forward, taking into consideration project goals and other issues.
• Are Flexible and able to adapt to change.
• Dedicated to being an effective team player (helping wherever needed, effectively communicating, building rapport and relating well with others).
• Effectively respond to issues and problems in a timely manner.
• Take initiative and is willing to assume additional projects.
• Demonstrate ownership of assigned projects and tasks.
• Work well with minimal supervision (includes anticipating, analyzing, diagnosing and suggesting solutions).
• Handle all communication with diplomacy and tact.
• Utilize sound judgment when handling projects and tasks.
• Are thorough and attentive to detail and accuracy.
• Meet deadlines.
• Handle constructive criticism and make necessary changes to improve performance.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director/CEO and will work closely with the Director of Education and Events, the Director of Strategic Commination and Outreach/CCO as well as SDCBA volunteer leadership.
The San Diego County Bar Association is the hub of San Diego’s diverse legal community. We aim to serve the county’s lawyers and the San Diego community as the representative of the legal profession. SDCBA programs help San Diego citizens find qualified lawyers and resolve disputes, and educating the public regarding the law and issues that impact our community is paramount to our mission. Our membership is representative of our region’s diverse legal community — with new and veteran attorneys practicing in various areas of law throughout the county. With more than 50 unique Sections, Committees and divisions, a state-of-the-art full-service member lounge and shared workspace, various community service projects, informal and association-wide networking events, along with more than 300 hours of quality continuing legal education (CLE) and supplemental education programs each year, the SDCBA is the place where San Diego’s legal professionals connect and convene for the betterment of their individual practices and the profession.
|Company Name||San Diego County Bar Association|
|Job Type||Member Technology Officer|
|Employment Type||Full Time|